Tuesday, 17 August 2010

LUKE ABBOTT















Norwich’s talented beat bastion Luke Abbott is about to release his new album ‘Holkham Drones’(which is pretty weird cos I literally just finished Jack Kerouac’s ‘On the Road’) on 23rd August through the Border Community label Abbott is attached to, which also boasts James Holden and Nathan Fake amongst other up and coming artists. The slick production and arrrangements cause for a hypnotising jaunt with experimental electronica that can't be missed, pulsing and fuzzing to create a strong, psychedelic offering.

So where are you in the world right now and what’re you working on currently?

I'm at home in Norwich, drinking coffee and replying to emails. I've just moved house, so my studio's not set up at the moment. But I just finished doing a remix for a band called Crimea X.

Who did you grow up listening to? Feel free to get nostalgic ha

Mostly I listened to 60s stuff that my dad had, I still listen to a lot of that stuff. Things like Love, The Band, Jefferson Airplane and The Beach Boys. I was also listening to a lot of 90s rock music like Mansun and Ultrasound, and some triphop stuff like Portishead and DJ Shadow. As well as that I was into a bit of hiphop, Naught By Nature and The Pharcyde etc.

We’re moving ever so close to the release of your album ‘Holkham Drones’ how long has the album taken to produce?

There's tracks on it that I started three years ago, but also tracks that have been made in the last few months. It all seemed to come together at the right moment though.

Which song do you think is the standout track?

I don't know if I could pick one, I've started to think about the whole album as a single track.

And finally, in a year’s time what would you have ideally liked to have achieved musically?

I don't know, a year doesn't seem like a very long time.

To reiterate Holkham Drones is released on the 23rd August and is well worth a dabble. You can learn more HERE and HERE! Why don't you sample a couple of my favourite tracks from Luke Abbott, go on.

Luke Abbott "Quincunx" by justindia

luke abbott - melody 120 from michael page on Vimeo.