Sunday, 29 August 2010

SUN AIRWAY

















If for you, music is about escapism, then prepare to go on a spellbinding saunter. Sun Airway, hailing from Philadelphia, consists of Jon Barthmus & Patrick Marsciell who’ve just signed with the Dead Oceans label, setting them up nicely for the tasty release of debut record ‘Nocturne of Exploded Crystal Chandelier’ to be dropped 26/10. Their songs tinker with the senses and are rich with throbs sparkle and trippy, trippy arrangement. My particular favourite is ‘Oh Naoko’, a dreamy effort with sweet vocals and layers that are nothing short of cracking. Their remix of Delorean’s ‘Stay Close’, one of my most loved songs this year, can’t be missed, giving it an added depth and dimension.

Where are you and what are you currently working on?

I am in my house in South Philadelphia tying up a whole lot of loose ends. Musically speaking, I just wrapped up a bunch of remixes for the likes of here we go magic, kisses, the hundred in the hands and a couple more. I'm taking a little break from that stuff right now and getting all the sun airway ducks in a row and dealing with lots of logistics.

Take us through your song writing process.

The song writing process for me doesn't happen in any specific way. Most often it just starts in my head with a little piece. Could be music, could be a line of lyrics, then I develop it from there. Sometimes it starts with music when messing around on my guitar or piano or computer. Who could tell us for sure?

Are you both pretty creative people apart from music anyway, are you into literature and art and all that stuff?

We're definitely both into all sorts of other creative pursuits. Patrick is a genius and renaissance man, but he's a little lazy. Pretty sure he could do whatever he wants and be successful. I like to make art and furniture and write and whatever else but there are only so many hours in the day and I usually choose music as my creative outlet. At least until I'm old and can't write songs any more.

What's been your favourite gig so far?

My favorite gig so far is one we just played in NYC with Brahms, Class Actress and Sherlocks Daughter. It was only our 3rd show but we've been working hard and improving a lot. This was a great show with great bands and we're looking forward to many more.

Who did you grow up listening to?

I grew up listening to all sorts of music. I started playing piano when I was 6 and always loved Scott Joplin and Mozart. But in the popular music spectrum, I remember being really into Boyz II Men because I liked the harmonies. Later it was all about REM and Pearl Jam and whatever alternative rock was happening. Then it was a punk and hardcore phase that lasted through high school.

And finally, what're your near future plans for Sun Airway, what're you gonna do next?

Sun Airway plans on moderately-scaled world domination. I really just want to do some touring in Europe and wherever else will have us. In the meantime, looking forward to our record coming out October 26th on Dead Oceans. I'll probably keep doing remixes, maybe have some other folks remix our songs, set up some shows/tours, who knows!

Visit Sun Airway's website, which is well worth a look, really interesting and bursting with cool stuff from the band http://sunairway.tumblr.com/

Fucking wicked music and the visuals on this are shweeeet, have a look.

Sun Airway's "Oh, Naoko" visuals from klipcollective on Vimeo.

Delorean - Stay Close (Sun Airway Remix) by earhornmusic