Friday, 26 November 2010

ISY SUTTIE






















The wonderful sitcom, Peep Show, is an essential ingredient in my life, definitely prioritised above food and sleep. If you’ve ever worked on Peep Show, you’re definitely a badass; if your character shares a name with a recently deceased house elf from Harry Potter (R.I.P Dobby) you’re a mega badass, Isy Suttie is outrageously badass. When you talk about female comedians, someone always pipes up with ‘material about periods, getting divorced and being fat is not funny’... Isy is a breath of fresh, sweet, hilarious air. Her charming, endearing quips and observations are whimsical and uplifting, with a delightful musical twist. Someone actually told me I reminded them of Dobby, which is inherently and emphatically wrong, but fucking brilliant nonetheless. Sell-out tours and appearances in hit comedies are a doddle and position Isy as one of the most refreshingly optimistic and intuitive comedians around, all without a mention of periods, divorce and obesity, how does she do it?!


First off, tell us a bit about what's going on in your wonderful world at the moment.
I'm learning Welsh and when my tour finishes I'll be able to go to regular classes. At the moment I can name about 20 farmyard animals and count to 99.

How did you first get involved in comedy?
I’ve played the guitar since I was about 12 and I seemed to just fall into it. I used to try and write serious songs but they always came out a bit bizarre.

What's been the proudest moment in your career so far, where you just thought fuck yeah!
When I got told I had got the part of Dobby in Peep Show. I was packing to go skiing and I couldn't go because of rehearsals, but although I really love skiing, I didn't mind in the slightest. I just couldn't believe it.

And who's the best person you've worked with?
Superhans' snake in Series 6 of Peep Show.

Have you acquired any 'odd' fans yet, or is that something you've got to look forward to ha?
Not acquired any yet, thankfully! Not sure I'd look forward to that prospect either!

How uncomfortable on a scale of one to ten was the 'fuckbunker' office store room scene with David Mitchell in Peep Show :D?
It was probably a three. It wasn't that uncomfortable. There was no physical contact, it was just pretty technical as we had to line up our eyelines with the mirrors. I didn't know David very well at that point, and we were in a very small cupboard with all the crew so it got a bit claustraphobic at points!

If you were a superhero, what power would you want to have?
I would have the power to play any song on guitar after hearing it once.

What music did you grow up listening to and what do you like now?
I grew up listening to Tom Waits, The Stone Roses, Frank Zappa and Carter USM. That's just all about I listen to now, along with Rufus Wainwright and Gorky's Zygotic Mynci.


What would your perfect day consist of?
2 Woody Allen films and a roast dinner.

And finally, in ten years time, ideally what would you like to be doing?
What I'm doing now, but I'd like to have a musical sitcom on TV.