Tuesday, 30 August 2011

READING FESTIVAL















Well, I can say that Glastonbury officially shits all over and in the mouth of Reading Festival. I always had an innate sense of knowing, but I now have empirical evidence and disabled feet to prove it. Too many hipster children, just because you have a shirt with a parrot on, it does not make you Tyler the Creator. However, I did thoroughly enjoy it and saw some great acts that I've been mad eager to see and some I haven't, but were good anyway. Thoughts are as follows..


Naked and Famous

This was the first band I saw. What a bunch of liars, they weren't naked or particularly famous, I'd never heard of them. I did recognise 2 of their songs though, they sounded identical to me and they were a tepid start to the festival, but entertaining nonetheless.


Metronomy

Well they were much better in a tent, which is what I concluded after watching them on the Pyramid Stage at Glastonbury. (What isn't better in a tent, is me as a person. Especially when the tent starts to leak during the night and you are sure there's a mole or a squirrel burrowing about by your head, which is lying on a makeshift pillow made out of a bag and mostly disappointment). They sounded so much better and are such a fun band to watch and continue to wear their white, glowing bra contraptions. They garnered a great reaction from the crowd, radiating infectious bouts of energy that thumped through the tent.


Yuck

Providing a perfect bout of grunge, synonymous with the state of everyone in the crowd. I've wanted to see Yuck for ages and they didn't disappoint; they make their performances seem effortless, without seeming nonchalent, just like they've just got out of bed 5 minutes earlier. Instilling Saturday with a slice of mellow.


Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zones

Still not sure if I witnessed the return of Christ or not, but Edward Sharpe sure knows how to rouse a crowd and his beardyness and white smock attire made me expect to see him handing out loaves. It was real special hearing 'Home' played live, almost made me get a bit emotional.


Cults

An absolute joy to see live, was really hyped to see this band, especially after they pulled out of Glastonbury for some reason. I was glad they played the Festival Republic Stage, it was relatively small and intimate. What the band possess in hair length, they definitely equate in talent (lots) and it was a tight, snappy set, which was better than I thought. I wasn't fully confident that the vocals would be upto scratch, but Madeline Follin nailed it.


The National

A confident, astute set, that seemed really epic (died a bit inside from using this word) against the backdrop of the setting sun. There's just something about Matt Berninger's voice that makes you imagine he's singing a personal soundtrack for you specifically.


Pulp

I always thought it was too late for me to like Pulp. Jarvis Cocker jokingly asked 'Who was here?' followed by 'Who was born?' in 1994, when Common People was performed for the first time; I think I've been intimidated by their longevity, so never decided to listen. There was some brief political comparison and reflection before Common People was played and it shook the crowd with the same relevance and intensity, as it did all those years ago. Cocker swaggered, crooned and displayed the wit and eloquence that continues to draw such enthusiastic crowds. 'Babies' was one of my favourite songs of the festival and the whole performance made me wish that I'd lived my teenage years to Pulp.


The Strokes

This is the band that I grew up to. 'Is this it' is such an iconic and special album for me; when I hear those songs it reminds me of my 15 year old crushes and thinking that front cover was an egg for ages, instead of a hand on a naked arse, because someone copied me the album and the front cover was too big for the case. I don't care that I'm gonna sound like a Justin Bieber twat, but it was almost a dream come true seeing them, and they didn't disappoint me. I can die a happy, happy woman.


Best Coast

During Best Coast, I began to question everything I have ever known and reassess my life, as I realised that standing next to me was the lanky, goth one from the latest series of Skins, I'm nearly 21 and SHOULD NOT recognise anyone from a programme aimed at 14 year olds..let alone find him fit. However, I quickly forgot about my new creepy, paedo, elderly persona and enjoyed Best Coast's performance immensely. Bethany Cosentino is a really charismatic and warm lead singer and it's nice to feel appreciated as a crowd. Thankfully during 'Boyfriend', (lyrics being: I wish he was my boyfriend, I wish he was my boyfriend) I managed to refrain from singing aloud and looking at Skins boy and being arrested.


Friendly Fires

Another flawless set. The 6th time I've seen them, but they just get better and better over time like a nice bit of funky, dancing cheese. If I was in a band I'd definitely dance like Ed, so I think he should get in touch with me and we can make sweet, sweet music and commit crimes against dancing forevermore.