Tuesday, 2 August 2011

YOUTH LAGOON










Youth Lagoon is definitely one of the most exciting artists to emerge and arouse my ears this year. Trevor Powers is the mastermind behind the whole operation and he sounds like a superhero, so deserves recognition for that alone. His music is full of echo and reverb and considering his first 3 tracks have been recorded in a garage they’re funking dope. I doubt that this will be the environment of choice for much longer cos this progressive, emotive lo-fi is really leading the way and a perfect complement to these warm summer evenings. Likenesses to Perfume Genius and Bon Iver are rife, but Youth Lagoon has forged a deep and dreamy direction of his own. I heard ‘Cannons’ back in the olden times (April) and it had such an impact, that it’s still my most played tune in 2011. This song was followed up with ‘July’ and ‘Montana’, which satisfied the Youth Lagoon craving nicely and showed a consistent ability to create beautiful, melancholic, hopeful music. I posted Cannons way back, but I've been useless and should've had this interview ready in May, but obviously I've been listening to Cannons too much instead... The debut album ‘Year of Hibernation’ is out 27th September, so hyped for that.

First off, where are you in the world right now and what're you working on?

I'm located in Boise, Idaho and I'm working on getting ready for tour. Just a lot of practicing and appreciating my time at home.

Could you give a brief Youth Lagoon history?

YL started about a year ago. I had played in all kinds of different bands throughout high school, but eventually just wanted to break away from this box I found myself in. My music tastes have changed drastically since high school. (laughs) I started listening to oldies but goodies like Cocteau Twins and really just found myself being influenced by the mindset of lo-fi recording techniques and really capturing emotion and real-ness in music. And that's when Youth Lagoon started.

Who did you grow up listening to?

I grew up being a big Elvis fan, and also discovered the Beach Boys when I was about 9. ;)

Tell us a bit about the most recent song you've written.

The most recent song is one called "Sounds like a Riot" and it's really just about laying in bed and playing back life in your mind. And it questions what the word 'love' means. I always thought I knew what it meant.

What's the weirdest thing you've ever written a song about?

When I was in junior high, I wrote a song with a friend that was about a bald man who lives on the beach and listens to N'SYNC. Yup..

Are there any specific themes or sources of inspiration you find yourself revisiting often when making music?

The most things that are truly the most inspiring to me to write songs are life events. Basically everything I write is personal so when I have anything happen in my life, it always ends up turning into a song. Or multiple songs.

What would you say was the perfect environment or situation to listen to your music in?

Someone told me it would be the perfect music for someone to listen to as they walk to their first class on their first day of college. It's the fall, and they just moved from their home state where the love of their life still resides. Everything is new and they have all kinds of anxiety and apprehension about what the future holds, but instead of listening to those fears, they just keep walking.

Where would you love to tour?

EVERYWHERE!

Finally, what's next for Youth Lagoon, future plans and such?

Touring everywhere. The album drops on September 27th so I'm going to be touring in support of that a lot.

Youth Lagoon - Cannons from Trevor Powers on Vimeo.

Youth Lagoon - July from pat fairbairn on Vimeo.

Youth Lagoon - Montana from dean jagger on Vimeo.