Wednesday, 21 September 2011

GIRAFFAGE






















It’s such a pleasure to feature Giraffage, the project of San Francisco based, Charlie Yin, because the music he is making is heavily dominating my ear time at the moment and it deserves to be heard by many more ears. It’s slick, with a variety of interesting samples and underlying hip-hopesque beats. There’s a fresh sound that is reminiscent of Star Slinger and Gold Panda; Giraffage is metaphorically rubbing shoulders with these two chaps and matching them in terms of talent too, I'm predicting major movements.

First off, where are you in the world right now and what're you working on?

I’m in Berkeley, California right now simultaneously trying to earn my degree while working on my LP.

Could you give a brief Giraffage history?

I started Giraffage around May 2011, mostly because I wanted a clean break from the shimmering beeps and boops of my old project, Robot Science. The name comes from this crazy looking graffiti that I always pass every time I take the Caltrain.

Who did you grow up listening to?

We had a Yamaha keyboard that was loaded with all these MIDI preset songs. One of my earliest memories is me putting on this cheesy MIDI-esque rendition of Venus by Bananarama and rocking out hard. There were also a bunch of MIDI Beatles tunes that I really dug. MIDI sample tunes notwithstanding, I grew up in the 90s so I was really into Blink 182, Nirvana, shit like that.

Tell us a bit about recent offering 'Pretty Things'.

It’s an EP of four songs I made over the course of 2 weeks. I released it May 2011. It’s pretty sample heavy and it’s the first time I’ve used vocal samples in any of my music.

What's the strangest subject you've ever written a song about?

One of my new songs is about having an orgasm.

What would you say was the perfect environment or situation to listen to your music in?

In the middle of a gigantic field on an overcast cloudy day frolicking with the person that you love.

What other artists are you into at the moment?

I’ve had R. Kelly on repeat these past couple of days.

Where would you love to tour?

I’d love to tour Europe. I’ve never stepped foot in Europe before but I’m always hearing amazing things about it.

Finally, what's next for Giraffage, future plans and such?

I’m in the process of finishing up my debut LP entitled “Comfort” and that should be dropping sometime October. I’m also working on figuring out how to play live, so expect some shows and whatnot in the near future.

Grab the e.p and learn about Giraffage from bandcamp and facebook...and now twitter

Giraffage - A Bird in Hand from Drinking From a Hose on Vimeo.