Sunday, 16 October 2011

UNDERWATER SEACREATURES




















Rich, soothing and full of depth (deep water, GET IT? ). Underwater Seacreatures have perfected the vintage 80s sound that reverberates within glo-fi, lo-fi, toe-fi, crow-fi, whatever you want to call it, so much at the moment. Their latest e.p is a dexterous, seductive effort, that is consistently strong throughout. They're perfect to put on in the background, but you'll find their hypnotic tones floating into your forefront regardless. A top album, can't wait to hear more.

First off, where are you in the world right now and what're you working on?

Us: Us is currently in the U.S. right now. Nathan, Marcos and Beans are in Richmond, Virginia attending Virginia Commonwealth University. We are all working on finishing Women, our first official album, and a couple miscellaneous tracks and remixes in between releases to reward fan loyalty as we gain a larger following. We really are very grateful for the response that we’ve had on the Internet in such a short time. It seems that a lot of people like what we do when they’re exposed to it, so we’ve been working on ways we can simply expose more people to our music, like re-edits of old movies or small-budget videos. At the moment our edit of the cult-classic Blade Runner to our song Shudder To Think has garnered the most attention out of our songs on YouTube. However, that was our first foray into video/editing and hardly our most popular song overall. It really just goes to show music + video is more viral a forum. We hope to continue making videos and to distinguish ourselves in time through the juxtaposition of our visual ideas and music.

Could you give a brief Underwater Seacreatures history?

Us: We met through a mutual friend in Richmond while attending Virginia Commonwealth University. At the time we were both making music so we connected in that aspect. We began jamming frequently, making mainly hip hop but sometimes playing guitar and saxophone along to our productions just for fun. In the summer of ‘09 we were introduced to chillwave/glo-fi which, as soon as we heard, we both knew we wanted to transition to. It just seemed to fit so much more, and so Us began.

Who did you grow up listening to?

Nathan Keeys: At the age of 3 I heard raffi….changed my life forever. LOL jk I grew up listening to a lot of my parent’s music as a kid: Stevie wonder, MJ, Pointer Sisters, Sade. Moving into high school I was big into The Neptunes/N.E.R.D and that whole Virginia Beach movement.

Marcos Da Silva: At the age of 5 I heard Jordy, back in Venezuela... and he really did change my life forever haha! Seriously he was a sensation over there, "Dur dur d'être bébé" was insanely popular as I was growing up, and he was my age, like five years old. You should google him if you’re curious. I still have that red cassette, and sometimes listen to it, despite still not understanding it. Music wasn’t always about understanding the lyrics to me, of course I was into all sorts of popular spanish artists at the time, but I wouldn’t have had an interest in American recording artists if a lyrical understanding was what struck me first about music. It’s actually pretty funny now in hindsight, grown-ass Venezuelans singing along to like...Aqua’s “Barbie Girl” both truly enjoying themselves and truly having no idea just what the hell they were saying whatsoever. I guess you could say I was most influenced by a personal fascination with pop music at large, worldwide, and some of my parent’s gems like Mecano, Illan Chester, Ricardo Arjona, Oscar De Leon, Franco De Vita, Ricardo Montaner, Karina, Kiara, and others in that vein.

Tell us a bit about the most recent song you've written.

Nathan Keeys: We've just finished a song that will be dropping before the album along side an autumn-esque music video. The song is simply called So Shy. There’s a constant dilemma where there are two girls who are just as attractive but one always gets more of the attention because shes more umm ..aggressive. Personally, I’ve always been genuinely attracted to those modest girls. In saying that, the song is my thoughts on that “shy” girl.

What's the strangest subject you've ever written a song about?

Nathan Keeys: Our subjects are pretty much feelings and events in our life. For the most part they’re normal happenings…but at times can be weird as shit. I’d say the strangest subject I’ve written about was “nothing”. Describing nothing is a task but I was doing nothing at the time so…I felt it. lol

Marcos Da Silva: I think every subject we write about is pretty strange honestly. In my opinion, I think it’s kind of a strange thing in the first place to sort of translate emotion into music. People usually are used to music making them feel a certain way, but trying to imbue your emotions onto something that doesn’t exist, out of thin air is particularly mystical to me. I’m always sort of surprised when it happens and is accurate. Particularly, with the more complex emotions that we experience. Even when they’re common. Things like, uncertainty, regret, nostalgia, lost innocence, the transition into adulthood, coming home after college, they’re things that most of us, if not all of us, experience and are thus universal, but the part where you communicate what that feels like to you, specifically and accurately, so that others recognize it and feel it too in themselves? I think that process is sort of magical and strange, because its more individual and private than anything else.

What would you say was the perfect environment or situation to listen to your music in?

Nathan Keeys: Waking up to a song you love is pretty nice.

Marcos Da Silva: Stoned. Definitely stoned. The EP anyway, it’s very placid, it sort of lends itself to that. It’s like a lazy summer’s day/night in its entirety.

What other artists are you into at the moment?

Nathan Keeys: Toro y moi and Neon Indians new albums are genius. I just heard Twin Sister’s album In Heaven and I love the stereolab feel…and Andrea Estellas voice lol.

Marcos Da Silva: I definitely agree, also the new m83 is pretty epic, the new Cool Kids is awesome, I’ve recently been craving a lot of Tribe Called Quest randomly, our friend Modern Humanist is doing some great work and coming up with a remix of “Speak Up” which should definitely turn some heads, and honestly almost every.time. we get fucked up we listen to Watch The Throne... that shit cray.

Where would you love to tour?

Nathan Keeys: So many places..Japan is a definite tho.

Marcos Da Silva: Yea seriously, where wouldn’t we love to tour. I’ve always been particularly curious about France. Their electronic music scene has always seemed one step ahead of everyone else, it makes me wonder if this is a cultural phenomenon. I’ve also always been curious about Portugal, because my Venezuelan family is actually originally from the island of Madeira.

Finally, what's next for you, future plans and such?

Us: At this time we’re finishing up the upcoming album Women and perfecting our live performing. We’re also planning on coming out with a few music videos so keep an eye out. =]

FACEBOOK BANDCAMP TWITTER