Monday, 20 February 2012

JORDAN KLASSEN






















Canadian Jordan Klassen constantly delights, with his emotive story-telling, filled with colour. There's something Dodo-esque about his music, using the same rich, depth of sounds and over-indulging his audience with a plethora of instrumental layers, he really spoils us. The lyrics are touching and the melodies equally charming.

First off, where are you in the world right now and what're you working on?
I live in Abbotsford, BC. It's about an hour east of Vancouver. Right now I'm working on promotional stuff for the two releases I'm putting out this year, a cross-Canada tour, and hashing out a live show that my band and I are really proud of. And also I've been perfecting a delicious chicken fajita casserole.

Could you give a brief history of your life as an artist?
My life as an artist began at the meagre age of 5, tracing pictures out of Encyclopedias. From there I took the natural progression toward playing trombone in high school band, which I despised so much that I cut a deal with my folks that if I could quit, I'd take up the guitar. It turned out that I liked it a lot, and I formed a three-piece band called 'Sub Rosa'. We played rock and roll to our friends in Abbotsford. We broke up when I was 21 and I began to write and record under my real name.

Who did you grow up listening to?
I grew up listening to a lot of Enya (and never really stopped, actually). I also remember listening to ABBA, Sarah McLachlan, and some christian pop bands like DCtalk and Newsboys. I moved on to a cock rock phase where I hung on every note that any band with guttural vocals and power chords played. Then, like so many others, I listened to Radiohead and everything changed.

Tell us a bit about the most recent song you've written.
I guess the most recent song I've written that I've actually completed would be 'Threads', which is on the new EP. It's kind of a 'everything is going to be ok' type of song, but approached at least musically from a place that is kind of dark, where there is a lot of tension, where it doesn't feel like everything's going to be ok. I'm pretty proud of it, I think it captured what I wanted to do pretty accurately.

What's the strangest subject you've ever written a song about?
I once wrote a song with Sub Rosa about my friend John David going to a petting zoo and getting rabies from kissing a tortoise. We recorded it.

What would you say was the perfect environment or situation to listen to your music in?
I think early in the morning is a pretty good time. You're making coffee and opening the blinds and somewhat introspective and hopeful.

What other artists are you into at the moment?
I've been listening to a lot of my friends music. 41st and Home, Ma Petite, Teen Daze. I am also fairly late on the train and have been devouring The National's 'High Violet'. Oh and I also bought this record from a guy called Ben Howard who's from the UK and I basically play it non-stop.

Where would you love to tour?
I would love to tour in Europe. It's becoming a pattern that I go there on a backpacking trip once every few years, so to actually be able to play music every night as opposed to just aimlessly galavanting around would be so much fun, I imagine.

Finally, what's next for you, future plans and such?
Spring tour! And an LP in the fall! And another tour! Non-stop stuff! I would also like to start writing haiku.




FACEBOOK
TWITTER
WEBSITE