Friday, 20 April 2012

BLUE BOATS




















Blue Boats has released a lovely, neat little e.p, that I'm sure will be played relentlessly in the approaching summer months. Bedrooms are shaping up to be the epicenter of musical creativity these days, and Olly Gale serves up a delightful slice of his own bedroom pop, that is reminiscent of the same summer nostalgia, that Wild Nothing produces. Subtle vocals float over the soaring instrumentals and create something beautifully understated and warm.

First off, where are you in the world right now and what're you working on?
I am in Bournemouth working on university work for a final deadline and slightly on some new music.

Could you give a brief Blue Boats history?
Blue Boats really started in July 2011 when several bands I was in fell apart and I decided to concentrate on writing by my self. Then after a long period of tweaks my first bunch of tracks were ready to be uploaded late October. The tracks received a small amount of positive feed back which I was really pleased about. My voice then got damaged which slowed any new tracks for months. Then I finished "Summers Down" and "Sun Burns" which by the next day started receiving good feedback which has carried on so I am shocked and very happy!

Who did you grow up listening to?
Thinking back I remember The Beatles, Oingo Boingo, Joe Jackson and Squeeze being played the most in our car tape player.

Tell us a bit about the most recent song you've worked on.
"Summers Down" Is about coming back home for summer and wanting to see old friends but the chance is often missed and your trip home is not made the most of.

What's the strangest subject you've ever written a song about?
Good question but I think you have made me realise my lyrical subjects are a bit tame. Maybe I should spice them up.

What would you say was the perfect environment or situation to listen to your music in?
Maybe in the background to any positive sunny situation but on the other hand by yourself in privacy.

What other artists are you into at the moment?
Recently I have come back to that amazing Unknown Mortal Orchestra EP with "How Can U Luv Me" on. Summer Heart, Vondelpark, Sun Glitters, Slow Magic, Mice Parade and Made In Heights have also been in heavy rotation.

Where would you love to tour?
Definitely Scandinavia and europe. I have being wanting to go to Scandinavia for a while now.

Finally, what's next for you, future plans and such?
Once I finish my first year at university I am concentrating on Blue Boats. Getting rehearsals so we can have our first show hopefully in June. Along side that writing new music of course.

FACEBOOK
TWITTER