Monday, 30 April 2012

STERILE CUCKOO























For anyone who knows what SPSS is (I feel so sorry for you if that combination of letters arouses the same fucking horror that it does for me), then you'll know it's utter shit. Before overdosing on coffee and anguish, going mental and throwing myself off my chair, I decided to listen to some recent stuff sent to me and thankfully I only did one of those things in the end. I have Thomas Minischetti to thank, who goes by the pseudonym, Sterile Cuckoo. I must admit, I'd never heard of the book/film, The Sterile Cuckoo, before, but I googled it and unfortunately Liza Minnelli's face came up, which almost made me throw myself off my chair anyway. That aside, Sterile Cuckoo produces some gorgeous music and transported me to a world where SPSS doesn't exist and all that remains is dreamy pop, with delicate, intricate detail, that is just lovely. And he samples David Attenborough...badass.

First off, where are you in the world right now and what're you working on?
Just now I am in my bedroom, covered with blankets, being a bit tired, and waiting to get new ideas for some music in my dreams.

Could you give a brief Sterile Cuckoo history?
The Sterile Cuckoo project is already maybe seven years old. I used to play in a band, and already had this nick name there. However step by step I prefered more doing it by myself instead of playing with a group. I wanted to make my own sound, express my own feelings, my own idea of music. Well, guess that was the real beginning of my solo works.

Who did you grow up listening to?
I am a child of the 80ies, so I listened to what many people like me were listening to. However I was always fascinated of electronic music. I loved New Order and Kate Bush for example...but also the Cure.

Tell us a bit about the most recent song you've worked on.
To be honest, currently I am working on some , let's call it "Pop Song". I always thought it is easy to make popular music...more easier than making some experimental tracks. However it's kind of difficult. Very heavy labour.

What's the strangest subject you've ever written a song about?
My intention is never to make songs about love. But in the end so often it became a love song....but isn't love the strangest thing ever I could make a song about?

What would you say was the perfect environment or situation to listen to your music in?
Listen my music while you're dreaming.

What other artists are you into at the moment?
I so re-listen to Washed Out these days...no one else can give you a better feeling of Nostalgia than this guy.
Also World's End Girlfriend, Slow Magic, Youth Lagoon and Kashiwa Daisuke are rotating in my mind.


Where would you love to tour?
Japan would be great.

Finally, what's next for you, future plans and such?
Becoming more professional, finally releasing an album that makes people feel comfortable.